Sunday, September 8, 2013

Connections in the Art

They say the Arts are a dying craft. They cut them in schools and deprive the next generation of creative inspiration, some students find their art or music classes their only form of release for the day.  The only way they can express themselves in a non-imposing environment.  I know my brother and myself were that way. But in reality they are depriving the students of connections. Connections that can only be formed in an artistic way. 
 If you attend an art festival is it filled to the brim with people connecting on all sorts of levels.  Think about it every piece of art sold is really a connection.  It is a connection between the artist and the buyer. Those two people saw something in the piece and because of that they have formed a bond.  For that brief moment, they were connected by art. The buyer is essentially saying to the artist, "Hey, this is speaking to me. I really understand what you were thinking while creating this piece." 
This connection does not only apply to paintings and drawings; it applies to every type of art.  A piece of handmade jewelry that catches your eye from across the room (happens to me a lot), a sculpture that you can easily picture on your end table, a song on the radio that immediately produces an emotional reaction of some sort, even a poem that brings back your past. Every type of art derives a connection for that moment, no matter how long or brief, you and the artist are connected.  If you are buying the piece from the creator or in a coffee shop listening to the artist live you may have a moment with that person.  In that moment you will lock eyes with the piece (or maybe actually lock eyes with the artist) and you both just get it.  It will be brief, just a moment of - I get you, I understand this totally. I hear people say all the time ' I feel as though this was created specifically for me'  well you know, it's quite possible that it was. Maybe every piece of art is created for a specific person as though fate brings us to our Art.  The artist isn't sure who the piece is being made for but it is always created for someone. Someone who is/ has experienced the emotion that is behind the work and will truly appreciate the Art for what is it. 

1 comment:

  1. I really like the idea that every piece of art is waiting to be paired with the person it was made for.
    You described the connection between the artist and the buyer well. That has happened to me many times, where you just stare at the piece, and then into the artist's eyes, and you are communicating without words "This is meant for me. I FEEL it". So cool to experience!

    ReplyDelete